Alaska LNG ProjectPERMITTING DASHBOARD PROJECT POSTING DATE: AUGUST 22, 2017
PROJECT WEBSITE: http://alaska-lng.com/
All dates below are specific to the schedule of the Environmental Review and Permitting processes for this project.
ENVIRONMENTAL REVIEW AND PERMITTING STATUS
ESTIMATED COMPLETION DATE OF ENVIRONMENTAL REVIEW AND PERMITTING
Other Agencies with Actions or Authorizations:
Department of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
Federal Energy Regulatory Commission
Department of Homeland Security, US Coast Guard
Department of the Interior, Bureau of Land Management
Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service
Department of the Army, US Army Corps of Engineers - Regulatory
Department of Energy, Office of Fossil Energy
Department of the Interior, National Park Service
The Alaska LNG Project is comprised of the following integrated and interdependent facilities: a liquefied natural gas (LNG) terminal in Southcentral Alaska designed to produce up to 20 million metric tons per annum of LNG; an approximately 807-mile, 42-inch diameter gas pipeline; a gas treatment plant (GTP) within the Prudhoe Bay Unit (PBU) on the North Slope; an approximately 1-mile, 60-inch diameter gas transmission line connecting the GTP to the PBU gas production facility; and an approximately 63 mile, 32-inch diameter gas transmission line connecting the GTP to the Point Thomson gas production facility. The mainline of the Alaska LNG Project will traverse over 800 miles from the GTP on the North Slope of Alaska through several boroughs before it crosses Cook Inlet and connects with the liquefaction plant and marine terminal in Nikiski, Alaska.
Fast-41 Initiation Notice
- Document located at: https://elibrary.ferc.gov/idmws/common/OpenNat.asp?fileID=14666498.
Project Application and Supporting Documents
- Project Application, FERC Docket No. CP17-178-000 (submitted 04/17/2017). Document located at: https://elibrary.ferc.gov/idmws/common/OpenNat.asp?fileID=14568607.
- Supporting Documents to Project Application and Additional Project-related filings and issuances can be found on FERC’s eLibrary website by searching under Docket No. CP17-178.
Federal Agency Actions
- Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, Notice of Application (issued 05/01/2017). Document located at: https://elibrary.ferc.gov/idmws/common/opennat.asp?fileID=14578591.
- Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, Notice of Schedule for Environmental Review of the Project (issued 03/12/2018). Document located at: https://elibrary.ferc.gov/idmws/common/opennat.asp?fileID=14838969.
- Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, Notice of Revised Schedule for Environmental Review of the Project (issued 08/31/2018). Document located at: https://elibrary.ferc.gov/idmws/common/opennat.asp?fileID=15013558.
- Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, Notice of Anticipated Schedule of Final Order for the Project (issued 08/31/2018). Document located at: https://elibrary.ferc.gov/idmws/common/opennat.asp?fileID=15013581.
- Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, Notice of Revised Schedule for Environmental Review of the Project (issued 02/28/2019). Document located at: https://elibrary.ferc.gov/idmws/common/opennat.asp?fileID=15172046.
- Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, Draft Environmental Impact Statement (issued 06/28/2019). Document located at: https://www.ferc.gov/draft-environmental-impact-statement-alaska-lng-project.
- Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, Final Environmental Impact Statement (issued 03/06/2020). Document located at: https://www.ferc.gov/industries-data/natural-gas/final-environmental-impact-statement-0.
- Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, Order Granting Authorization under Section 3 of the Natural Gas Act (issued 05/21/2020). Document located at: https://elibrary.ferc.gov/idmws/common/opennat.asp?fileID=15540301.
- None filed.
DOE litigation re Natural Gas Export Authorization
For improved transparency, FERC is providing this supplemental table to reflect the additional federal authorizations that may be required for the Alaska LNG Project.
|Additional Federal Agency Permitting Timetable for the Alaska LNG Project|
|Responsible Agency||Federal Permit/Review||Status||Applicable Timelines|
|US Coast Guard||Letter of Recommendation||Complete||Receipt of Letter of Intent: May 15, 2014
Receipt of Waterway Suitability Assessment: March 18, 2016
Letter of Recommendation to FERC: August 17, 2016
Federal environmental review and authorization for the Alaska LNG Project was completed on September 16, 2020. However, on April 15, 2021, the Department of Energy (DOE), a cooperating agency on this project, granted a request for rehearing of a final order issued to Alaska LNG Project LLC for the export of liquefied natural gas produced from Alaskan sources to non-free trade agreement countries, pursuant to the Natural Gas Act (NGA). In the Rehearing Order, DOE stated that it was granting rehearing for the purpose of conducting two Alaska-specific environmental studies (collectively, the Alaska environmental study proceeding). To this end, DOE currently is preparing a supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (SEIS) for the Alaska environmental study proceeding (DOE/EIS-0512-S1), consistent with the National Environmental Policy Act. Based on its findings from the SEIS—including the associated public process—DOE intends to issue an order under section 3(a) of the NGA, in which DOE presents its findings and conclusions, by February 13, 2023. DOE may decide to modify, set aside, or confirm the Alaska LNG Order (Order No. 3643-A), in whole or in part. Because DOE’s supplemental environmental review and subsequent order are currently the only pending Federal actions on this project and all other federal reviews and authorizations—including the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission’s (FERC) “Authorization for Liquefied Natural Gas Terminal Facilities, Onshore or in State Waters”—are complete, DOE is replacing FERC as the NEPA lead agency for this SEIS.
Update: The Executive Director granted a DOE request to extend the completion dates for DOE actions associated with the supplemental environmental impact statement. The Executive Director determination is available here.
Last updated April 1, 2022
To view timetable chart, please turn device sideways (landscape)
The permitting timetable below displays data as reported by agencies. Dates for Environmental Review and Permitting processes (Actions) that are in 'Paused' or 'Planned' status are subject to change and are not indicative of a project's final schedule.
- For information about extensions, select an Action from the timetable below and select 'View Action Details' at the bottom of the page.
For additional information, please select an Action from the Permitting Timetable above.
- Responsible Agency:
- Action Status:
- Action Identifier:
- Action Outcome:
|Milestone||Original Target Date||Current Target Date||Milestone Complete|